Saturday, September 13, 2008

37 down, 15 to go!

I desperately wanted to sleep in this morning. But I didn't. And I didn't for good reason. Laura needed a running partner. She had one last 40 mile run to get in before the Heartland 100. Me, because of my 100 miler a couple of weeks ago, and my "marathon-a-week" steak through Heartland, I didn't need any extra miles. And frankly, I was fine getting in those needed miles during daylight hours. But 2 a.m. called, and Laura wanted to run.

I was prepared to meet Laura at 2:00 a.m. But the storms were brewing. I secretly hoped that meant a cancelation. I woke up about 1:15, and no messages of cancelation. The rain was coming down very heavily (yesterday, the west side of town received 10 inches of rain; we received 6 on my side of town). I checked the radar, and no real break in sight. That is when I heard a knock on the door. It was 1:30 and Laura was here, 30 minutes early. I had expected that she was going to run 10 miles or so on her treadmill before we ran at 2:00 a.m., but instead she just came over early and ran from my house. But the rain was coming down so hard she needed shelter.

And for good reason. My street tends to flood. This night was no exception. We had likely 3+ feet of water in my street. It was impassable. And the rain was still coming down.

We hung out inside for 30 more minutes, and when the radar indicated that the weather might break, we headed out. Into a monsoon. We managed to get across the street and down the block (in people's front yards). We even saw two (drunk) guys rafting down my street!

We soon turned a corner (literally and figuratively with the weather) and the rain and flooding subsided. It continued to rain for the next hour or so, and then it tapered off to a mist. It continued that way for the rest of the run.

Laura and I made it through 20 miles without incident. But after 22 or so, we had to drive across town to meet the team to finish our run. We quickly headed over and finished our run.

I had only planned on 26.2, but I was feeling good. Our team was running 8 miles, which consisted of two 4 mile loops. After one loop, I decided to just keep going. I was fortunate enough to get with the fast group, so the entire 8 miles took less than 1:15.

Not a bad run. Very wet. Feet had some problems because of the moisture and warmth. But all in all, a very good run.

37 marathons down, 15 to go!

No comments: