Friday, February 15, 2008

7 down, 45 to go

4:30 came awfully early this morning. But to get a marathon in before work, I had to run early. I considered an outside marathon, which would have let me start even earlier than 4:30, but the wind chill was hovering at around 1 degree. The thought of getting out in those temperatures so close to getting over the flu was not encouraging. Plus, after my last ultra marathon in those temperatures (PsychoWyco 2007), even keeping your water bottles from freezing creates a challenge. So I got up, and was waiting at the gym door when they opened at 5 am. Ready for my third treadmill marathon of the year. Super (sense the sarcasm).

The first few miles were a little sore. I held a solid 9 min/mile pace through the first 13 miles or so. But at mile 13, I decided to pick up the pace. I gradually increased up to about 7:30 pace by the last couple of miles. Felt good to run fast that late in a marathon.

Finished in 3:44:38.

I can tell I am still very dehydrated. I went through 5 bottles of fluits, which wasn't nearly enough considering I am coming off the flu. Will have to continue to hydrate to be ready for the Austin marathon the day after tomorrow.

No comments: