Saturday, August 30, 2008

35 down, 17 to go!

Since I began my "marathon a week" plan earlier this year, there were a couple of marathons that I was not looking forward to. Today was one of those days. After a 100 miler last weekend, I did not want to get back out and run a marathon 6 days later. But I knew this going in. Today had to finally arrive.

I began optimistic. I actually felt pretty good. But I knew 26.2 would be pushing it. I was right.

Laura and I began running just shortly after 3:00 a.m. I hadn't had a lot of sleep, maybe 2 1/2 hours or so, so I began the day pretty tired. But I had to do it. We trekked along just fine for about 11 miles. 5:10 and we were done with that first 11 miles. Now we had to drive a couple of miles over to the Team-in-Training run and another 15 miles.

I joined in with 4-1 run/walk group, which helped significantly. The next 10 or so miles went well. I drank and ate well, but my energy declined every mile. I didn't feel any real tiredness with my running, just an overall tiredness. I don't mind the walk breaks, but I hate the long water stops, that sometimes take 5+ minutes.

Mile 20 was about my limit. But I kept moving.

Nearly 5:30 after starting the day, I finished. 114 average heart rate on the day.

35 down, 17 to go!

No comments: