Sunday, August 10, 2008

Another journey around New York

I'll have to admit my wife is pretty brave. I had this brill ant idea to take the subway down to Battery Park on the south tip of Manhattan, and then run back to our hotel in Times Square. I guessed somewhere between 4 and 6 miles, depending on how much winding we would do. So that is what we did. We headed to Battery Park about 8 a.m., arriving at around 8:30. We took a map, with a few general sights in mind to see, but no real planned route.

We began running along the water line. We stopped and took a few pictures of the Statue of Liberty (see background above).

We then headed to Ground Zero. I hadn't realized they had really started back with construction. It was a little odd. Not quite what I expected. Very large.

We headed north a while longer. Unfortunately, I hadn't realized how close to Wall Street and the Stock Exchange we were. So we missed that. We kept going, heading towards City Hall.

We headed towards China Town and Canal Street. We didn't buy any purses.

Next toward Little Italy. I wished I had time to have a meal there.

Kept heading north towards the Flatiron building and Madison Square Park.

From this point, we simply pick out the Empire State building and run towards it. Probably still a mile or so off. Probably the shadiest neighborhoods during this mile.

Another Mile or so and we are back to the hotel. About 6 miles. Very slow, but we were sight seeing. Very proud of Jennifer.

No comments: