Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dehydration sucks!

Forecast: 102. High humidity. Plan: 12 mile run and 30 mile bike. Success? No.

I thought I felt ok when I began the 12 mile TNT run. But as I would find out, I never really felt right. And it would go downhill.

Normally, I don't struggle much with our TNT participants. I usually find myself with a slower group, usually run-walking, usually at a nice, easy 10:00-11:00 min/mile pace. But today, I got the opportunity to run with the runners. This year we have a couple of women who are training at the 8:00 - 9:00 min/mile pace, which normally isn't a problem for me. But today it was. I didn't know quite what my problem was when I started, but something wasn't right.

From the outset my legs felt tight, almost cramping. I was too hot. And my heart rate was way too high. I pushed on, but really struggled to finish. It had to be some mild dehydration.

I had plans on a 30 mile bike ride when I finished, but with a marathon scheduled tomorrow and not feeling well, I called it a day. Really not feeling well by this point. I decided to go home and rest.

By the time I got home, I was still feeling pretty rough. I knew it was dehydration, but I didn't know quite how bad. I just didn't feel right, and I couldn't get cool. Despite that I probably drank 24 ounces of water on the way home, I was down over 8 lbs on the day! Without that water, that is near 10 lbs, or 6% of my body weight! Not a good thing.

I think I will reconsider my arrogance and the heat. I don't know if I can make it the marathon tomorrow.

No comments: