Friday, June 20, 2008

Getting ready for the big race

Tomorrow is the "5k Legal Runaround," a small (very small, very very small) 5k run held in conjunction with our Kansas Bar Association Annual meeting. The typical entrants are either attorneys or family members.

Why do I care about this event? A little history might help. 4 years ago, I entered my first 5k Legal Runaround. With about 20 entrants, I ran the first 2.9 miles with a high-school soccer player. We chatted and had a good time. But with about a quarter mile left, I gave in to the urge and challenged him to a race. Knowing I would lose, it was still pretty exciting. I lost, but a second place finish I had (albeit out of 20 people). I might add that the 5k course was about 4.2 miles.

3 years ago I entered my second 5k Legal Runaround event. That year it was held in Vail, Colorado. I entered this year to win. I headed out (0ut and back course), and about 1.8 miles in (still on the way out) I made the executive decision to turn around. Those in the lead pack with me also turned around. We headed back, but to find that others had turned around earlier (closer to the 1.55 mile mark). I had some catch-up work to do. I pushed on, and with less than 1/10 of a mile to go, I passed a 19 year old girl for the victory. Cheap, I know, but she ran about a half mile less than I did. My first (and only ever) victory as an adult.

2 years ago the race was canceled. Still champion.

1 year ago the race was canceled. Still Champion.

Obviously, I am a defending champion with a lot on the line. I better start training.

So today, I headed out for a 4 mile run (right before lunch). 29:12. Not a bad pace. Need to run much faster tomorrow.

No comments: