Saturday, July 19, 2008

29 down, 23 to go! Confessions of an all night runner!

So you might be wondering why I chose to skip my blog entry for yesterday. There is a good reason actually. That is, I never had time to write it, as I was still running when the day ended.

Last night, my training partner (Laura) and I headed out at about 10:00 p.m. for a long run. Laura had planned on running 35 miles, getting done just before 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, so she could support the Team-in-Training participants on their run. Me, I had plans for somewhere between 40-50 miles, and between 10-12 hours. I'd just have to gauge my time and pace, as I didn't want to exceed either 50 miles or 12 hours.

So we headed out complete with headlamps for an initial 10 mile loop. Our plans would be to run this same loop 3 times, as it had a convenience store at one end, my house at the other end, and was run nearly entirely through quiet neighborhoods (i.e., without a lot of drunk people to yell at us - "don't you know its 3 a.m? Shouldn't you be asleep."). We would have to get pretty comfortable with that route.

The first 10 went well. Both of us carried needed supplies with us, so there was no need to stop at the c-store. We took some time to eat about half way through (nibbled on a CliffBar the entire loop), and of course took many other walk breaks along the way. Back home in about 1:45, giving us 10 minutes for the home base "aid station," and back on the road with a loop of less than 2:00.

When we arrived at home, we both did our best to eat solid foods. I took in a PB&J sandwich that Jennifer had fixed, along with some Powerbar Drink, and a few pretzels. Feeling pretty good for midnight.

Back out for loop number 2. Not really feeling too bad yet. Hit the half-way point in good time, and still didn't need the c-store. Ate some more, and headed back. Still not feeling too bad, but looking forward to some caffeine at the home base.

Back to the house after 20 miles at around 2:00 a.m. Made a quick turn around after another half a PB&J and more pretzels. Started the PowerGels a few miles back. I could tell the temperatures were pretty high, and the humidity was even higher. I was going through a substantial amount of fluids, and I was soaked from head to toe.

Miles 20-25 went well. At 3 a.m. and on the way back towards home I could tell I was getting a little sleepy. The run was going well, and my legs were feeling good, so I started day dreaming (or is it just dreaming when it is during the middle of the night?) about how I might run to get in a few extra miles after Laura dropped off and before the team run. This day dreaming went so well that I caught myself nearly falling asleep! Maybe not quite, but I did "pop" back in to reality, and I couldn't quite figure out where on the course I was! I knew I was running and roughly where I was, but I couldn't remember what direction or which road exactly. A little weird. Enough to keep me awake the rest of the way.

Mile 30 came and went. Still feeling good after more PB&J and more PowerGel. Still going through water like, well, water. Miles 30-35 went pretty fast.

Dropped Laura off just short of 5:00 a.m. At my current pace, I'd have time to get 5 more miles in before the team run, which was scheduled for 10 miles. Perfect! Grabbed some food and gear, and headed (in the car) to the team training spot. A short 3 minute drive and I was back running. Although the first few steps were a struggle after sitting for only a couple of minutes, I quickly picked up the pace to around 9 min/miles. The sun was starting to come up, which really helped.

Back to the start after nearly 40 miles, and met the team for 10 miles. These 10 were unbelievable. Great miles! In no way did it feel like I had run 40 earlier. 50 came very easily. I did struggle a little with the pace (around 10:30's or 11:00's with the team). Since this was the same pace I had run all night, I either needed to pick up or slow down. So I had to do some weird walk breaks and faster catch-up runs just to keep up. Ankle and shin felt a little sore, but the pace change-up made that all feel better.

10:25 for 50 miles. Not a bad day at all! Average heart rate of 130. Not bad.

No comments: