Saturday, July 26, 2008

30 Down, 22 to go!

It is never a good feeling when you begin to consider yourself odd. Today was that day.

Laura and I had plans to begin a marathon at 2:45 a.m. This means I was to get up by 2:00, and travel to the starting spot and running by 45 minutes later. Did I find this troubling? No. Was I concerned with the lack of sleep? No. Did I get to bed early? No. Did I change what I ate? No. This just wasn't a big deal, and I actually for a minute considered this an "easy day." That - I know will admit - is odd.

So mile 1 began just after 2:45 a.m. We headed out on a nice morning with temperatures of about 75 degrees and humidity hovering about that same level. Our plans would be to run 8 miles out on our designated route, and turn around and head back. 16 miles total for a "pre-run" before the weekly TNT run of about 10 miles. The miles just ticked away.

By mile 5, Mike - another TNT coach - joined us so he could get about 20 miles in on the day. We continud on at a nice, slow pace - about 10:30 pace with a minute of walk every other mile.

Finished up those first 16 miles with little action to report. We would begin the teams 10 mile run after a short, 15 minute rest.

Miles 16-26 would tick off too without much to report. It kinda just felt like a normal run - certainly didn't feel like a "marathon."

By the time I finished, Mike had another 1/2 mile to finish up to get in 20 miles. Seeing no reason not to, I went with him. Half way through that I got the brilliant idea to let him get a one block lead and see if I could catch him in a 1/2 mile. Barely caught him but ran out of gas as he pressed on for the victory. 27 miles total. Around a 4:45 marathon time (excluding the 15 minute break between runs).

Average Heart Rate - 124 (This too I find oddly low).

Somehow managed a bike ride to and from work, and another bike ride that afternoon. Took the Triathlon bike out for a spin (today was the time trial for the Tour de France), and took the customary 21 mile course in record time (1:03:21). Felt really good.

No comments: