Sunday, April 20, 2008

10 miles around D.C.

I had planned my day around a long run (maybe even a marathon) around D.C. But when I woke up to downpours, I changed my mind. I headed towards the gym for a 4 miler. But I couldn't do it. I didn't care if it was raining. It was intermittent, and 62 degrees. This is great rain running weather.

I headed out around the Capital, to the Supreme Court, and back around the Capital. I then headed towards the Washington Monument, and then off towards the White House. Back to the Washington Monument and towards the WWII memorial. Around that, and to the Lincoln Memorial. Then out to the Jefferson Memorial, and back toward the Holocaust museum and the Bureau of Printing and Engraving. Past the Smithsonian's (Air & Space, Natural History, Art, etc) and back to the Capital. Around the capital and towards the Supreme Court (did everyone else know that Capital Hill really meant it is up a large hill?). Then back towards Union Station and ultimately to my hotel. The last 15 minutes or so was a heavy downpour.

I loved it. I'm glad I got out there.

1 comment:

Greg Hill said...

I remember when we were kids and went to D.C. on our family vacation. I was running high school track and cross country and thought it would be so cool to run around the mall. I have had the opportunity to run that loop from the Capital to the Lincoln Memorial and back several times and it ranks as one of my most enjoyable routes.