Tuesday, April 1, 2008

14 down, 38 to go

Tonight was Marathon 14 on the year. I took off from work a little early and was on the road by 4:30. Traffic was heavy, so crossings and intersections took some time. I managed to hold just under 9:00 miles (with stops) through the first 11.2. So far, so good. I can tell I am still not fully recovered from Saturday's marathon, but not doing too bad. I am noticing that an 8:30 pace or so feels the best (that I think is my most natural and comfortable pace generally).

I then stopped by the house to pick up Jennifer. Jennifer is planning on a half marathon in late April at Oklahoma City (the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon). She would like to P.R. But I know she doesn't have the mental confidence to push herself like I know she can. She would like to break 2:00 hrs, as her P.R. is right around 2:04. So tonight she planned on running 10 miles, and I wanted her to hold 9:00 min/miles, so she could realize that she could in fact do 13.1 at that pace.

She did awesome. She started at sub 9's and ended at sub 9's. Most miles were right at 9:00 min/miles, if not a few seconds faster. Total time for her was 1:28:40, which was a huge PR for her for a 10 mile run. At that pace, she would only need to hold 10's the rest of the way to break 2 hours for the half. She can definitely do it. And congrats on the P.R. You kicked ass! I knew you could.

For me, I still had 5 miles to go (this is why I ran 11.2 before meeting Jennifer). I kept up the quick pace, but I could tell that I was really feeling tired. The legs (hip especially) was feeling it. And the fuel system wasn't recovered either.

It was a struggle, but I made it in 3:55:53 (without stopping the watch). I think I probably averaged 8:40's or so.

I will be tired for a few more days, and the hip is a little sore.

No comments: