Sunday, April 27, 2008

18 down, 34 to go.

My favorite marathon is the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon. I love the meaning behind the race. I love the 168 seconds of silence before the race begins. I love the beautiful course, winding through the neighborhoods of OKC. I love the size. I love the course support. I really love the fact that it is close to home and I get to run with people I know. It was and still is my favorite.

I woke up this morning and my throat is still killing me. Running yesterday doesn't seem to have made it worse, but it doesn't seem to make it any better either. Add to this not sleeping well last night, and I just am not feeling it. Oh, and its 50 degrees and raining at 5:30 a.m.

I put all that aside and head out of the hotel. We stopped by the gas station and bummed two large trash bags to cover with before we started. This was absolutely key, as we had to hang around at the start for 45 minutes before the race began.

We had planned to meet some friends at the start. Jennifer was going to meet Amanda, and I was going to meet Travis (Travis is a Team-in-Training participant; he is also a TNT cycling coach and a good friend of mine. Travis didn't get to train with us because of this TNT duties). Jennifer and Amanda were going to shoot for a 2:00 half (which would be a big PR for her) and Travis and I were shooting for a 4:00 marathon (Travis's first marathon). But, we couldn't find them. We would have to look for them on the course. And even though we couldn't find them, Jennifer and I could run the first 7 miles or so together, before the races split.

The gun sounded and the rain stopped. We couldn't ask for more. Within the first mile, we gave up the trashbags. We held our 9 min/mile pace. At mile 7 we split. I wished Jennifer well and headed on towards a marathon. At this point I knew she had a PR in the bag. It would just be a matter of "by how much." When I left her, if she merely held pace, she would be right at 1:58. More on that later.

So after I leave her, I stop off for a "natural break" of the side of a bridge (I was not the only one). And since I was running with the 4:00 hour pace group, I decided to try and catch them. On my way, who do I find but Travis. So this was a great break. We we quickly catch up to the 4:00 group.

Travis and I held pace well through 13 miles, despite a fairly heavy wind at our face. After 13.5 we head into a park near the lake, and back south towards town. This means one fantastic thing: wind at our back!

Through 15 Travis and I did great. 16 miles had been his longest run. But through 17, 18, 19 and even 20 he held on well. At 21 I could tell he was starting to feel the distance. Through water stops the walks would lengthen. This helped me too, as my IT band was really tightening up. Soon we would loose sight of the 4:00 pace group. But we were still moving forward, which is the most critical aspect of endurance running. This is also the most critical aspect of success in running if you ask me.

At mile 23 we see some Team-in-Training friends and coaches, who join us for a mile or so. We also see Travis's family. This was a tough mile. While it was nice seeing them, I could tell Travis wanted nothing more than to see a finish line, and I was completely in agreement. The pounding was really taking a toll on both of us.

Mile 24 was tough. Several walk breaks. Travis was really tightening up. We would have to make ourselves run. At mile 25, Travis had a new life. He now knew he could finish. We ran the entire last 1.2 miles. He did fantastic.

Great job to Travis. I am very, very impressed with the way he hung in there. He felt the pain but kept going. I know he will be back for another.

I felt this marathon. The impact was really getting to me. The trail running yesterday had a lot of side to side movement. This meant a struggle on my knees and hips. So today, my knees were really feeling it. I felt good for the first 13 miles, but the last 13 miles were a real test.

As for Jennifer, she did fantastic. 1:56:47! A PR by 7 minutes. I am very, very proud of her. She is awesome!

My time 4:12:47.

No comments: