Saturday, April 12, 2008

15 down, 37 to go

This morning began as a beautiful morning. While it was forecast to be near freezing with a heavy north wind at 7:30 a.m., the morning began at about 38 degrees and a light breeze. And sunny. Absolutely wonderful.

I set out to run 18-20 miles with my Team-in-training participants. I knew that would take some time, but I hoped to wrap that up in time to run the last 6-8 on my own, and still be done in around 4:30-5:00.

The first 13 or so went great. But the last 6 (of that portion) were very tough. The wind began to howl \about 10 miles in, but our direction of travel and wind "protection" (trees, houses, etc) served us well...until about mile 13. We slowed, but continued on. We concluded those 19 miles with the team in about 4 hours.

The last 7 were on my own. For those who have not experienced a true Kansas wind won't recognize that it isn't out of the north or the east or the west. Instead, when it is really kicking, it comes from everywhere. Very seldom can you ever really get a tail wind. So with 7 to go, I headed straight north into the wind. For approximately 1 1/2 miles, I fought a 30+ mph headwind, with no protection. I turned backs south and found a little relief. Another half miler or so and I headed east. I found a nice wall to run beside, which gave me some great protection, but when that ran out, nothing but me and the wind.

2 more miles south were bearable, but not great. The next 2 were very tough. At times, the wind would nearly take my legs out from under me.

I'm exhausted. The wind took its toll. First, its a fight. Second, with a wind (and 40-50 degree temps), you never feel a sweat. So I did not drink nearly enough (maybe 20 ounces on the day). after noticing the dehydration yesterday, I should have been smarter.

Tomorrow is supposed to be marathon 16 on the year. It will be tough.

No comments: