Sunday, April 13, 2008

16 Down, 36 to go!

I woke up looking for an excuse to call off today's marathon. The wind was very strong, with gusts upwards of 40mph. But, knowing Jennifer was depending on me for a 20 mile run herself, and knowing that I really really felt great, I went for it.

The wind was straight out of the north. The plan was to head right at it. 10 miles right at it with the last 10 as a tailwind'er. But, about 4 miles in we reconsidered. The planned route would have given us no wind protection. So we opted to circle around through a heavily wooded park.

This helped considerably.

After a few more into the wind, we turned around at mile 10 and headed back to the south. Now with tailwind. But I know Jennifer was fairly tired from running in the wind. We hung with it and continued fighting on.

Finally, her 20 were over, and I only had 6.2 to go. i grabbed the dog, and headed back out. A little faster pace, but still very comfortable.

Marathon 16 of the year. Check.

Note: I'm beginning to think that I actually run better on marathon 2 of a weekend. Today, even with fairly tough conditions, I was able to run 26.2 miles with a total average heart rate of 129. It hovered around the 125-135 mark for the first 20 miles, and then raised a little. But still, I maintained an sub 130 average I believe for the first time ever.

Total time, 4:29 and some change. With that heart rate average, I am very happy with that time.

No comments: