Saturday, May 17, 2008

20 down, 32 to go!

I had a big run planned today. 30 or 35 miles. Probably 30, but leaving open the idea 0f 35 if things went well.

I set the alarm to start running by 5:00 a.m, but decided to start at 6 after waking up at 4:15 (obvious reasons). So I headed out at 6 for 6 or 7 miles before the TNT session began. 7 miles in about an hour.

From the first few miles I could tell it was going to be a long day. At 9:oo min/miles, my heartrate should be in the low 130's. at 8:30, I should barely be breaking 140 beats per minute. But today, even in the early miles, my heart race was pushing past 150, and I just didn't feel right.

With the TNT participants going 20, I knew the pace would slow. So when we began at 7:00 a.m., things began to feel a little better. 10:30 pace for the first 10 or so miles.

But about half way (16 miles for me), things began to feel rough. My legs started really feeling the impact (shoes need replaced) and my body was just feeling tired. Add to this a lack of desire to eat and drink, and the day was going downhill.

But I kept at it. Our pace slowed to an uncomfortable 11:00 min/mile pace (I just down have an 11-12 min/mile pace; it isn't a walk and it isn't a run; it causes me pain; and I know it causes me shin splints). I had to run ahead of the group and walk to let them catch up. This change of pace really helped. Still 5 or so miles to go.

And it was getting hot. Temperatures for the first time this year (at least during any long run) were surpassing 80 degrees. A little hot, considering I am hardly drinking.

The next 5 went about the same. I passed 26.2 with a little over a mile to go in our team run. Can I finish 30, or should I just give it up. With a mile left I decided to call it a day. But coming to the end, I couldn't quit. Only 2 miles left to go. "I can do it."

My pace picked up, as I was on my own. That was exactly what I needed.

30 miles, check. Marathon 20 on the year down, only 32 to go. Chalk this one up to a mental training session.

Now, do I have enough left for a 50 mile bike ride tomorrow (keep in mind you have read about all my bike rides this year, or have you forgotten as there have been so few)?

No comments: