Thursday, May 29, 2008

22 down, 30 to go!

Having last weeks' 3:30 a.m. run rained out (http://runscottierun.blogspot.com/2008/05/rained-out.html), Laura and I decided to plan another. I know, for most people this doesn't make sense. Why would anyone want to get up at 2:45 in the morning to go run? Let alone run a marathon before work. The answer is "100 miles." Laura and I both have our minds set on a 100 mile run this fall. For Laura, the Heartland 100 (http://www.ksultrarunners.org/hlpage.html) will be her first. For me, I have my eye on the Lean Horse 100 (http://www.leanhorse.com/index.html), and I hope the Heartland 100 will be my second Heartland, and my 3rd 100 overall. What does that have to do with 3:30 a.m.? I attribute much of my success last year to many early morning runs. I really believe that these early runs without much sleep train the body and mind for the late hours of an ultra.

So Laura and I met at 3:30 and headed out. Miles 1-4 went well, but I could tell my stomach wasn't quite right. Last night I went for a couple of beers with some friends, with some heavy nachos, and a sub sandwich on the way home and immediately before bed. None of that is good marathon preparation, in case anyone asks. These stomach problems would be a continuous problem over the next 22 miles. I leave it at that.

All else seemed to go ok. It was only about 65 degrees with a light breeze, which is perfect. Unfortunately, it was about 95% humidity. Dehydration would be the other continuous problem. I would run most of the run completely soaked in sweet. Not pleasant for anyone.

We would manage. In good order, we finished in around 4:40. We probably averaged 9:45 miles for most miles, but the stops really slowed us.

No comments: