Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bank of America River Run

Today was the day, but my legs weren't feeling it. They felt extremely dehydrated when I woke up this morning. But I headed out for the 10k River Run, and thought I would give it my best. I headed to the start line, and thought I would shoot for 43 minutes or so. Not a PR day, I thought.

But the gun sounded, and I took off. This is always a weird race, with a lot of inexperienced runners competing. There is always way too many people going out way too fast. And today I was one of them. Mile one in 6:15. Not 43 pace, but well under 40 minute pace.

Well, what the hell. "Lets go for it" I thought. While I know I needed to slow a little, but I thought a PR might be in the bag (old PR was 41 minutes - http://runscottierun.blogspot.com/2008/03/easter-sun-run-10k.html). I slowed to 6:36 for mile 2. Still on pace. Mile 3, 6:35. Mile 4, 6:32, Mile 5, 6:20.

40 minutes was in sight. I went as hard as I could the last .2, and made it. But not by much. 39:59. Still in the 30's.

I really did feel good, although my legs never really felt right. I have to really think about what might be within reach, if I really did feel good. 39? 38? Below that I am probably dreaming, but 38 or 39 might be in reach.

No comments: