Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Sun Run 10k

Today was a scheduled Team-in-training run. As part of that training experience, we wanted our participants to get the feel of "race day." To help ease the jitters of a first-time racer, we often have our people enter a small local race to get the feel of starting lines, water stops, and pacing. We used a local Easter 10k run for this year's training race.

We began with a 3 miler warm up (for those who couldn't bear to break from their marathon training distances). After an easy 3 miler, we all split up to run the 10k at our own paces.

Like I said Thursday, I wanted to break 42 minutes. My P.R. is around 42:30, and I would be pretty happy to knock even a few seconds off that. But I was feeling good.

I took off and the first 5k was dead-on at 2o:53. I just needed to hold on to that pace for the next 5k and I would break 42 minutes. But after another 2.5k, I really felt like I had more to give. I picked up the pace a bit and still felt good. With 1k to go, I really tried to give it all I had. In fact, I broke 42 minutes, and 41 minutes, but just by a second. 40:59. A new P.R. The last 5k was just over 20 minutes, with the last kilometer at 3:45.

Not a bad pace for a slow guy!

No comments: