Sunday, March 9, 2008

11 down, 41 to go.

26.2 miles. 4:32:32. Average heart rate 131 (Even in my own mind I think that is sick). Two marathons, two days. And I felt great when I finished. I consider today an enormous success.

Amanda (fellow TNT coach) ran the first 10 miles of Marathon #11 on the year. Jennifer ran the next 11. And Pavlov ran the last 5 miles with me.

Having run the same course around my house several times lately, I decided to mix it up a bit. I still began and ended at my house, but instead of winding around my neighborhood, Amanda met me at my house at 7:30 am (just after sunrise with daylight savings time) and we headed to Andover, a town about 8 miles away. Taking a few side jaunts, Amanda ended in Andover at about 10 miles. Waiting there with Amanda's car was Jennifer (Thanks a million Amanda - who had run 15 the day before with TNT). Jennifer picked up and ran the next 11 miles with me.

We maintained a stead pace of 9:50 for the first 21 miles. But at that point, I was on my own for the last 5 miles. Luckily, I have a crack-dog who loves nothing more than to run. I picked her up, and she drug me for the next 5 miles at a 9:30 pace.

26.2 miles x 11 down, 41 marathons more to go. (20% there!).

End note: I keep telling myself that the purpose of this blog is to track my mental and physical state as I go through this. I entirely expected that I would have highs and lows, and even have occasions when I felt really bad and wanted to quit. To date, I feel that I have not reported these feelings. I think there is a logical reason. I feel fine. I refused to minimize my accomplishments, but I beginning to get to the point where I can run a comfortable marathon in 4:00-4:30 and then feel completely normal after a shower and meal. I suppose that's what training is all about.

No comments: