Tuesday, March 18, 2008

12 down, 40 to go.

Dean Karnazes wrote recently about the "runabout" http://dean.runnersworld.com/. He suggested finding a Saturday morning and just taking off for a run with no real plans on what to do, but to just make a day of it. It got me thinking. I am a slave to mileage, and a slave to a planned course.

So tonight, at 6:15 pm, I set out for a 5 hour "runabout." No plan on where I was going, no real plan on distance (needed to make a marathon, hoped to make it 30). I just ran.

It was very exciting. I hit different parts of my typical running path along the way, but I certainly found some places that I have never been. I headed out to a couple of suburbs, around some shopping areas, and just through some random neighborhoods. My only real though on direction or path was making sure I was within a few miles of convenience stores. I needed to make sure I could get to water or food (I missed dinner).

I finished just before 11:30, 5:14 minutes of running. I did decide to go a few extra minutes, just to make it to the 50k mark.

I think I am on to something here. Taking off and making an evening event out of running with nothing but the enjoyment to think about. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will try 6 hours.

No comments: