Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Record Swim (and a good run)

I can't pinpoint today's motivation. But whatever it is, it worked. I hopped on the treadmill for a 1 mile warmup, followed by a 20:15 5k, followed by a mile cooldown. This was very tough, as I haven't run "fast" for any distance in a long time. This may be my fastest 5k in over a year. Very good run.

After the run, I was planning on a 1500 yard swim. If you have been reading, that is a pretty long swim for me. I intended to break it up into 250 yard segments (5 laps). But after 5 laps, I felt like I should keep going. Then 10 laps and the same. 15 laps. Form was actually better than normal. I really felt like I was gliding. 20 laps (1000 yards). 25 laps. Still haven't stopped. As I approached the 1500 yard finish line, I just felt like I had more. So to 2000 I went. My longest swim to date was 1800 yards (1 mile=1760 yards). My fastest mile was about 43 minutes. Today, I past the 1800 yard mark in less than 40 minutes. Total time for the 2000 yards was about 43 minutes. Quite a success.

As I finished, I could tell I was deeply dehydrated. Topping the tough run with a long swim, my legs (calves) really started cramping. I stopped only 3 times in the total 2000 yards (all during the last 500) to stretch my cramping legs and feet.

Really felt great about my workouts.

No comments: