Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I thought I was going to die! (Seriously!)

Jennifer and I were busy tonight. I had a wide assortment of chores to do tonight (some of which required daylight), so I didn't get ready to run until late. About 11:00 I get ready to head out. The temperature was great (high 60's), so I decided to run without a shirt. It wasn't raining yet (I knew it was in the forecast, and I could see some lightening in the distance), and the dog was needing some exercise, so I decided to take her as well.

I headed out with the dog, and the first 2 miles went fine. With about 1 1/2 miles left, it started sprinkling. Not bad. By mile 3, it was starting to rain. Not bad. By 3/4 miles left, the wind picks up (from about 20 mph, to 40+ mph). The rain is now coming down pretty hard, and the wind is a fight. The storm continues to increase in intensity. With 1/2 mile to go, the dog is refusing to run. The wind is 60+ mph. The rain is coming down so hard that it is ankle deep on all roads (keep in mind it has been raining for less than 8 minutes). The rain pelted me. I'm looking for shelter, but I know I can be home in 4 minutes. I continue on, barely able to move forward with the wind. The rain and wind take my breath away. The rain is pouring down my face so bad, that I feel like I am drowning (seriously disturbing). The dog and I push on. She is scared to death. I encourage her and tell her everything is going to be ok (she clearly doesn't believe me, and I am not sure I do either).

By 1/4 mile left, it had done nothing but get worse. It felt like it was now hailing (it was not, but the rain was so heavy and the wind was so heavy). The street was now flooding. Up nearly to the dog's belly (we stayed to the hide side of the street). I can't see anything. I have to cover my body with my arms. We barely go anywhere, but the house is very close.

We make it to the porch. The dog is terrified and soaking. I yell for Jennifer to help. She is clueless of what is going on outside. She helps us dry off.

The dog and I were terrified. I was shaking. I honestly though I might be in a tornado (I actually thought it was a hurricane - it looked like what I see on the news). The dog went straight for the bed, and hid under it.

Very scary.

No comments: