Sunday, January 6, 2008

2 Down, 50 to go!



So I said yesterday that I couldn't have asked for better weather in January. I lied. I asked for it today and got it. Marathon #2 started at 6 a.m., with temperatures hovering around the 40 degree mark. I was set to run the first 20 miles with my wife, Jennifer, who is training to run the Austin marathon in about a month. The last 6.2 would have to be on my own.

Today was a great day. Jennifer did an awesome job getting through her 20, in around 3:37 (including stops for water, etc). We probably averaged right around 10 min/miles for that 20 (while we were moving), which is awesome for her. I "dropped her off" at home and refilled my water bottles and headed back out.

But I couldn't resist taking the dog on such a nice day. So she kept me company for that next 6.2, which was great. I finished in 4:37 and change, with the last 6 miles at 9 min/miles. Felt good. Legs are a little heavy today. It helped to increase the pace to stretch them out. My hydration and food levels were good. Never felt low. Little slow, but that is good to give me some variety, and I need that pace training for my ultras.

Note - Photo from 2006 Wichita Marathon (Jennifer and I's first marathon together)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Scott! I have a similar goal to run an ultra distance (beyond 26.2 miles) training run each week in 2008. I've also got 2 down, 50 to go. I posted about you in my blog. Good luck! Run Scottie run!