Sunday, January 20, 2008

4 down, 48 to go :(

Why the sad face? Because today's run sucked. I have a cold or allergies or something. I don't feel quite right, and my nose is running more than I am. But, today I went for "marathon" #4.

Because of the cold I decided that outside might must make it worse. Temperatures started this morning in the 20's, but picked up to the high 30's by mid-afternoon. But the wind was supposed to be whipping, so I decide that the even temperatures of the gym might be more ideal.

To top that brill ant idea, I decided that I needed to pick up the pace a little today. this year my "marathon" times have varied from the 3:50's to the 4:50's. My PR is 3:19:32 (last year at RNR San Diego) and I have put in several sub 3:30's. I think I am a legitimate 3:20 marathoner, and I think with a little proper training (not a marathon every week) I could pull a 3:10 and be a Boston qualifier. So, in order to be a 3:20'er, I think I need to get some of my long runs in at near race pace. So today, I set out for a 3:30 (8 min/mile) run on the treadmill.

Well at about 12:15 I stepped onto the treadmill. I ran the first 10 miles fairly OK, but I needed to get off due to some "rubbing" issues. Got back on and pulled 3 more miles before needing a water refill. Got back on and 3 more miles before needed to turn on the football game. 3 more miles and I was shot. I just felt like crap. I am having a leg pain issue that I get from time to time. I think it is an adductor problem. Anyway, that was bothering me, as was my cold, as was the heat from the gym. All excuses aside, the last 7 miles involved several walk breaks (trying to stretch and/or loosen up the muscle pain) and a couple of stops for drinking. Those miles were fairly slow. 3:52:34 after starting, I finally finished. I don't feel too bad about that, as that involved about 5-7 minutes for gym related breaks - going to the locker room, finding a new TV station, etc.

Anyway, I think I will work on some stretching and some rehydration. 5 hours later I am still feeling like crap.

No comments: