Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thanks for reading!

I just learned today that I have a couple of folks actually reading my Blog. Very exciting! And thank you!

Paleo Runner (http://paleo-runner.blogspot.com/) has a very similar goal for the year. He is attempting an ultra a week for a year. I love it! Now when people call me crazy, I can say: "I know this guy, and he is even crazier!" Thank you for that, Paleo Runner. I look forward to following your blog as well.



Today I opted for my minimum 4 miler so that I could "rest" as much as possible before this weekend's marathon. I know, I know, I am trying to run a marathon every week, so am I going to use the "resting" excuse every week? I hope not. But I am a little nervous. I am running this one with my brother, Greg. I have promised him that I will be at his side the entire way. The last thing I want is for me to have a bad day where I couldn't be there for him if he were to need anything (support, encouragement, etc.). But I know he will be fine, and I know I will too, but I just don't want to let him down. More importantly, I want to be there to help him celebrate as he successfully completes the marathon and crosses the finish line.

As a bit of background, this past October I completed my first 100 miler in the Flint Hills of Kansas at the Heartland 100. My brother came out about 4:00 in the afternoon (mile 50ish) and was there until the end. He ran two sections with me for a total of about 15 miles. I was very proud of his effort, as he was just pushing the 10 mile mark in his training. The, as I hit the last 5 or so miles, he came back out to help me finish. He and my wife, Jennifer, took me in. Greg completed nearly 20 miles, and I was very grateful to have him there. I want to do the same for him this weekend.

I have a great "power-point" that my wife created of that event. You can see it here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/985653/Heartland-100

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow a 100 miler, hats off! I haven't tried that yet but I'm working on it.

You can upload your PDF at http://www.scribd.com/ and then embed it in your blog posting.

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

Good for you!!

It has been very interesting to have a Google Alert for Blogs on "Kansas Flint Hills!"
Yours came up today!
We have a 22 county Flint Hills Tourism Coalition, Inc. promoting visits to the Kansas Flint Hills – this is the website: http://www.kansasflinthills.travel/
Our web site is to promote the Kansas Flint Hills; and we were so happy to be in the 22 page color photo spread in National Geographic's April Issue on the Kansas Flint Hills, as a distinctive landscape. We are now working to get the Kansas Flint Hills designated as a National Heritage Area.

We would appreciate a link from your site, to ours, if you are willing to do so. THANKS!
Best wishes!

Bill ;-)

Personal Blog: http://flinthillsofkansas.blogspot.com/