Sunday, January 13, 2008

3 Down, 49 to go!

I love events that are not about me. I am fortunate (I think) to have a fairly unique discipline that will allow me to run a marathon along side someone, and feed off their enjoyment. It is probably because I am fortunate to be able to run many marathons. But I don't need or want to set a P.R. every marathon. I just like to enjoy the experience. And seeing the excitement of a newer runner enjoying and completing a Marathon is a great day for me. And when that person is my brother, that is even cooler.

An absolutely beautiful day for a marathon. I could not ask for better weather today in Phoenix for the P.F. Chang's Rock n' Roll Arizona Marathon. 45 degrees at the beginning, forcast (and actual) high of around 65 degrees. Cool, clear, windless. Couldn't be better.

The morning started at 5:15 as our Team-in-Training group met for a short team meeting, breakfast and photos, before boarding the buses for the starting area at 6:00 am. We arrived shortly thereafter, and had a 1 1/2 hour wait before the start. The half marathoners with us had nearly double that.

As the race neared, we moved closer to our corral. We started in Corral 8, which is fairly close to the back. The gun sounded, and we were off. Well, not really. With 5000 or so in front of us, it took us about 4 minutes to actually get to the starting line. But soon, we were off.

Another Kansas TNT participant (Wes) started along side Greg and I (Greg pictured left, Wes pictured right). I had encouraged him to run with us at least for the start of the race. This was his first event of really any kind, and I was very concerned with him going out too fast. He continued with us for about a mile and a half, and then moved on. I hope it helped (more on that later).

We moved through the first few miles without sweat, literally, without sweat. We quickly learned that the dry temperatures meant that as soon as sweat neared your skin, it evaporated. We would have to make sure we drank plenty throughout the day (yes mom, we drank plenty of water!).

The first notable experience came at mile 8, when a lady in the crow looked at me and said in a very condescending tone: "Come on Scott, pick it up, you can do better!" We got quite a kick out of that for a couple of miles.

Somewhere after mile 8 we came up to our first hill. I use that term very lightly. This course is extremely flat. Almost too flat for my liking. The first hill was more of a very subtle incline, may 20 feet over a quarter mile. Certainly nothing to give your legs any variety.

Mile 10 came and went, as did 13 (see picture). We were half way there, and feeling great. Greg was eating well (powergel, sportsbeans, and his favorite, smarties) and feeling great. Not a sign of wear.

The most important moment for Greg came at mile 16. As a bit of background, Greg ran the Wichita Marathon in 2001. While he did well, he didn't have an enjoyable experience. At mile 16, he severely cramped, and had 10 more grueling miles to go. Today, he didn't want that experience. For him, all he needed to do was reach mile 16 feeling good and he knew he would make it. Well, at mile 16, he felt great. Just 10 more miles to go. (picture of him on right)

Mile 18, mile 20, and mile 22 came and went. At mile 23, Greg turns to me and says, "I hate to say it, but I am disappointed that this is almost over." I laughed.

The finished line approached. It was over. 4:32:24.

Wes did an awesome job. We hoped to never pass him, and we did not. After everyone had met up, we found that he had finished in 4:27, about 5 minutes before Greg and I. He was looking a little tired, but he did an awesome job. His wife and her parents cheered him on throughout the course. I was very glad that he had an opportunity to see them four times on the course. That kind of support made his job so much more enjoyable.

Greg did an awesome job. And most importantly, he enjoyed himself. That is what marathoning is all about.

Below is a picture of the two of us. I was pleased to be able to take so many photos of him along the way.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an admirable goal. I will follow you along through your progress. Thanks for joining me in Phoenix and for an unforgetable experience.